Friday 6 May 2016

Chateau Chambord

Built between 1519 and 1547 for King Francis I as a hunting lodge (440 rooms), the building incorporates a range of mathematical patterns. The form follows a square grid, but undoubtedly the highlight is the double helix staircase that may have been designed by Leonardo de Vinci. He lived close to the property and was a friend of the king.



Slits in the walls of the staircase enable you to have conversations with the person on the same height, but on the other stairway, of the double helix.
I spent almost the whole time we were in the chateau ascending and descending the stairway. Sad.

1 comment:

  1. Why sad? It's an engineering and structural wonder!!! ONLY 400 odd rooms? I mean - really? One, two, three - many!! However, there maybe method in the mathematics ..... Innocently lost for a time:) Granduer on an epic scale. Three classes: the church, the aristocrats (who controlled the army) and the serfs. I know what I would have wanted to be but also know what I would have been!!

    ReplyDelete